Elephant and Piggie Seriesby Mo Willems (Author, Illustrator)
THE most checked out books from our library!
We LOVE Elephant and Piggie! We can’t get enough of them. Every time we head to the library, we make a beeline to the “Elephant and Piggie” section. Why? Because we LOVE Elephant and Piggie Do you want to know why?
(1) Simple words and sentences. This series is meant for early readers to really enjoy reading books. In his interview, Mo Willems declares that “my primary goal was to create stories that were funny and exciting despite their being early readers”. So after reading a ton of Elephant and Piggie books, do we think this series achieves this goal? Yes, yes and YES!
(2) Speech Bubbles. This series is illustrated like a comic book strip but for early readers. Mo Willems has simply mastered the art of illustrating it with speech bubbles. He uses the speech bubble to express emotion (happy, sad, surprised, mad) …
loud and soft voices..
pauses and expressions (such as exclaiming!)…
and writing plays (writing in speech bubbles helps to write like playwrights do) and understanding power of dialogues
(3) Visual Cues. Have you noticed the “white space”.. this technique very popular and effective in the world of illustrating, is brilliantly put to use in this series. I love that there is absolutely no distraction to the eye. While reading, you are focused wholly and solely on the characters, their emotion and words.. Mo Willems executes this brilliantly and this technique just simply WORKS!
(4) Encouraging Read Aloud skills. While many books qualify as great read-alouds, this series works especially well at our home. Also, in this case, the read aloud is done by the child! DD loves to read aloud in all pose and manner, with lots of gusto and enough expression to make the grumpiest person smile! She will stomp her feet and twirl around, lift her eyebrows and make every kind of silly sound she can while reading aloud. It is NO wonder that this series is SO popular and entertaining
(5) Books on Friendship. Finally, this series is about friendship. As the cover says..
“Gerald is careful. Piggie is not. Piggie cannot help smiling. Gerald can.
Gerald and Piggie are best friends“
The two friends love to spend time together. They are different and their personalities reflect through the stories and illustrations. It is hard not to fall in love with their silly adventures. And the stories are so simple and relatable, that it doesn’t surprise me that even the youngest of the young truly enjoy them.
Perfect Vocabulary, mind-bending stories and hilarious adventures.. WE WANT MORE!!
A list: (as of July 2013)
1. A Big Guy took My Ball!
2. lets Go for a Drive!
3. Listen to my Trumpet!
4. Happy Pig Day!
5. Should I Share my Ice Cream?
6. I Broke My Trunk!
7. We Are in a Book!
8. Can I Play Too?
9. I am Going!
10. Pigs make me Sneeze!
11. Elephants Cannot Dance!
12. Watch me Throw the Ball!
13. Are you Ready to play outside?
14. I Love my New Toy!
15. Today I Will Fly!
16. I Will Surprise My Friend!
17. My Friend is Sad!
18. I am Invited to a Party!
19. There Is a Bird on Your Head!
Which one is your favorite?